Blog #34 | It’s a S.A.D. Day
So, Single Awareness Day yes? As a single guy who just moved (First Year, hello.), I’m even more lost as to what to do on this day of solitude. Play video games? Go to the gym? Laser tag? DANCE!? What should you do when all of your friends already have plans with their significant others? Well, let’s start with what we WOULD do if we weren’t single. And if you are single like me, you can read this part while looking like this
A year ago, I did have a girlfriend for this special occasion and so I went out of my way to try to make it as romantic as possible. Lunch at a cafe, cards, chocolate, though no flowers (mutually agreed upon, I swear). I have even learned to sing something sweet for her.
I guess you can say that I have witnessed both sides of Valentine’s Day, even if it was only once on the other side. Pretty standard stuff I’d say; show your appreciation for them and vice versa, by doing things you like together and just having a blast on that day. Simple, no?
Anyway, back on topic. It is a tad uncomfortable to notice all those couples in restaurants whispering sweet “I love you’s” to each other under the candlelight, and even worse to realize that all you’ve done on that day was gorge on ice cream and pie. Not that there is anything wrong with that mind you, it’s just a bit humbling.
Of course, if you prefer the latter statement with or without a partner, you are free to ignore the suggestions below.
For things to do with a significant other:
- Dinner! It’s only standard, and you know what else goes well with dinner at a nice ballroom restaurant? DANCE! #shameless
- Go explore the city, go for a walk outside, bus hop or even train hop! There’s a lot more than meets the eye in a city like Vancouver!
- Never forget your gifts like cards, chocolates and/or flowers! Of course, it’s always the thought that counts and materialistic gifts don’t mean a thing as opposed to a well written personal card…and yes for flowers always remember your colour schemes!
- Be happy. There’s nothing more saddening for your partner than spending time with you, only to have no smiles pass through between you both!
For single pringles:
- RAISE THAT KD IN LEAGUE, HON OR DOTA 2 OR WHATEVER YOU MAY PLAY. COUPLES?! YOU MEAN THE PARTNER THAT DRAGS YOU DOWN?!?
- Go find a new hobby, most preferably away from all the sugary sweetness happening -just- next door. Like dance.
- Don’t be afraid of the couples. They won’t bite (at least I didn’t).